Assoc. Prof. Dr. Melis Palamar Onay
Instr. Elif Aktekin
The program was opened in 2000-2001 academic year. Formal teaching is given. The students are admitted to the program with YGS-1 score of the student selection examination made by Turkey Measurement Selection and Placement Center (ÖSYM). The aim of the program is to educate the eye care technicians to prepare the visual aids and to adapt to the patient in accordance to the prescription prepared by the ophthalmologist. The optician is legally responsible for the preparation, installation, adjustment of frames and glasses. And also opticians are authorized to sell contact lenses. The optician is legally responsible for the operation of the optician's offices and the contractual arrangements made with the official agencies.
Profile of the Program
- Opticianry branch courses and applications,
- Vision Optics, Eye Diseases and Contact Lenses
- Basic Health courses; Public Health, Physiology, Occupational Health and Safety, Behavioral Sciences
- Basic Science courses; Physics, Chemistry and Geometric Optics
- Basic courses in business administration; Business and Marketing Management, Accounting, Public Relations, Occupational ethics
- Technical visits to the glass factory
- Seminars given by experts and representatives in opticianry profession
There is an opticianry laboratory where the practical training on. In the laboratory there are automatic machines and equipment for preparing glasses and determining measurements . Also there is an optical shop model where all types of ophthalmic lenses and frames on.
Occupational Profiles of Graduates
Opticians can be a responsible manager of an optical shop. Also opticians can be an owner of an optical shop.
Access to Further Studies
According to relevant legislation of Higher Education Council (YÖK), Graduates can move vertically to the Department of Physics, Department of Optics and Acoustics Engineering and Department of Physics Engineering.